Clarkson Tool and Cutter Grinder - Refurbishment






BOTTOM  HOME



Back To Refurbishment and Repairs Index


This is a very fine Mark 1 refurbishment by Arnold Bryan :


This was first published on the madmodder website, and the original pictures and dialogue can be seen there ... maddmodder topic 10644
I have preserved the pictures and most of the text here, just in case it gets lost.

Thanks to Arnie for letting me use the pictures and text.



TOP


Here is Arnie's original text describing the job:-

Hello, some while ago (2013) I started to put my workshop together to start building a 4" scale model of a Burrell Traction Engine. The Harrison L6 Mk3 lathe came first, followed by a rare round ram Bridgeport. Next came a Clarkson Tool Cutter Grinder, which I found on ebay at Worcester in need of some TLC. I kept a before and after photo album of most of the refurbishment and I thought it may be of interest. Not quite sure of how to go about this as it will be my first topic on any forum but here goes.

↓Its not pretty is it. By the way it is set up I think is was used to one specific operation. It came with the minimum of attachments but did have the collection of collets imperial/metric. Not sure about the paint should be grey but it was painted in a Mk2 colour green. I split it down into three lumps, cut the wiring off, and back to base.
missing image

 

↓I stripped and removed all bolts, screws, and component parts.
missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

↓As I split the base plate it revealed its true colour, the original grey.
missing image

 

↓Now came the hard part I removed all the dirt and grease and set about preparing the painted areas. I've recently bought a soda blasting kit for my new project; I only wish I'd got it earlier and used it for the Clarkson, it would have saved a lot of time.
A new single phase motor was ordered, I got a drive belt from ebay, a Mk2 belt guard from Machine Spares together with the attachment bolts and a new motor pulley to fit the new motor.
missing image

 

↓ I used the proverbial wire brush mounted in my 4 inch grinder for most of the work, then electric sander, then wet and dry. You may notice the cheat on the mounting base, but it was grey anyway. Use of precision dowels to locate the switch mounting plate. I used the original switch plate and surfaced its face in the Brigeport to mount the new DOL starter. missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

↓I used Stationary Paints machine enamel. I had some Harrison Lathe paint in the garage and as the colour match is the same as the Clarkson it was sprayed on. I used two layers of grey primer, which I know technically I didn't need, then two layers of top coat. It is a high build enamel and went on with no runs or areas to retouch, I was chuffed. The motor arrived a lovely blue so that was sprayed as well.
missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

missing image

 

↓I started assembling the parts, first drilling and tapping the belt guard attachment point. It was plain sailing, the motor fitted well and I was able to get correct belt tension. I rewired, putting the wires through the pedestal leaving an outlet free for lighting I had replaced the spindle bearings and it ran as good as new. I put a dial on the bed and got almost no runout, can't remember what exactly it was. I managed to buy a Clarkson radius tool, and an as new 3 way 4" vice that still needs a purpose mount to the Clarkson.
missing image

 

↓As you can see been doing a bit of polishing. I need to find a good light for it probably LED. Next will be a spindle stone guard with vacuum point and then find a pair of centres, I can't afford the price Machine Spares want, so I'll keep looking. I also have a height gauge to put on. missing image

 

missing image

 





Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

TOP  HOME