Clarkson Mark I/II/III Tool and Cutter Grinder - Home Made parts and Modifications






BOTTOM  HOME



Back To Homemade Contents


I noticed this Clarkson that belongs to Ian McVickers, on the Model Engineers website. Ian has kindly allowed me to show his photos here.
I have included most of his text, as it appeared in the forum discussion posts on the ME website.


By Ian McVickers :


1. Mark1 repaint and tidy up
2. Mount for the Universal Head



TOP

REPAINT AND TIDY UP

 

↓ 29-03-18
I have picked up a Clarkson MK1 which arrived today.

Although it's in very good condition I'm going to strip it down, clean it up and give it a new coat of paint.

 

missing image

 

↓ 18-04-18

Question:- I'm busy rebuilding my Clarkson MK1 grinder and have most parts repainted and refitted to the machine but I am looking for some ideas or pointers for painting the Clarkson name on the base casting. I have painted the name area white and would like to do the raised letters in red and keep it neat and tidy without overpainting the white background. I can't see any other way of doing this without trying to cover the area with bits of masking tape. Any ideas?

Answer:- Would a paint-roller do the trick? MichaelG.

I went for the roller idea.
I masked off the area around the name and used a cut down gloss foam roller.
It turned out pretty good.
A bit of cleaning and a few touch ups and its done.
I managed to get the table cleaned up and refitted today as well.

missing image

 

missing image

 

↓ 21-05-18
I thought I would add an update to this as the machine is more or less finished.

It's now powered via a vfd with stop/start, EStop and reset controls.
A worklight is also fitted.
All that's left to do is to make a blanking plate to cover the hole left from the old starter unit, some new tee slot bolts and a captive nut for the universal holder.
It's been a nice little project.
missing image

 


TOP

MOUNT

 

↓ 15-01-19
I'm in the middle of making a version of the upgraded universal head for the Clarkson MK1 Tool Grinder as shown on the bedroom workshop site.

Base plate has been milled to size and a recess cut to accept the upper part.
A centre line was engraved across the plate as well but it doesn't show up too well on the photo.
Upper part turned to size at 95mm diameter and 110mm high then cut in the bandsaw, about 30 minutes worth of cutting.
Hopefully at the weekend I will get some time in the shop to finish milling it and possibly get a scale engraved around the bottom edge.

missing image

 

↓ 18-01-19
Managed to get some more done to the universal head upgrade.
Added locating bar to the base plate so that it slots snugly in the t slot on the table.

missing image

 

missing image

 

↓ 18-01-19
Upper part nearly done apart from engraving the degrees scale. The 40mm indexable head I have didn't leave a great finish so I will give it a rub down when everything else is complete.

missing image

 

↓ 18-01-19 All parts fitted together to see how it looks on the tool grinder and so far so good.

missing image

 

missing image

 





Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

TOP  HOME