REXEL STAPLE WIZARD REPAIR






BOTTOM  HOME


The automatic stapler broke. I could not bring myself to throw it away and just had to have a go at fixing it.


↓ After over five years of occasional use the green plastic bushes disintegrated.
The bushes may have disintegrated due to age, but I suspect they fatigued due to the loading as they support and pivot the bar that pushes the staples down through the paper.
missing image

 

missing image

 


↓ The bush on the left had completely disintegrated.
The bush on the right was destroyed as well.
missing image

 

missing image

 

↓ These are the pieces that need replacing.
To make the repair quick and easy I chose a simpler design that was more straightforward to make.
The new bushes will be made of metal that could well introduce a flaw that affects the other parts of the mechanism. Time will tell. It's only a stapler.
missing image

 


TOP

↓ First I made the roller.
missing image

 

↓ I drilled a 3mm hole through the roller.
missing image

 

↓ The roller is left oversized for now.
missing image

 


TOP

↓ Next I made the Axle. The Roller will roll on the Axle.
One of the Bushes will be machined with the Axle.
missing image

 

missing image

 

↓ Trial fit of the Roller on the Axle.
I slowly kept turning the Axle down to size until the Roller could just slip on over it.
missing image

 

missing image

 


TOP

↓ The Axle Bush is stepped to fit the plastic frame in the stapler.
missing image

 

↓ Parting off the Axle.
I used a parting tool to separate the Axle. You have to have those parting blades extremely sharp.
missing image

 


TOP

↓ The Axle and Roller.
missing image

 

↓ Test fit in the stapler.
The Roller is too long at this stage. Once the two Bushes are in place then I will know how long it has to be.
missing image

 


TOP

↓ Making the Other Bush.
A 3mm hole is drilled in the Other Bush to accept the Axle.
missing image

 

↓ Test fitting the Axle in the other Bush.
missing image

 


TOP

↓ Cross drilling the Other Bush to accept a grub screw.
missing image

 

missing image

 

↓ The hole is 2.5mm which is the tapping size for an M3x0.5 thread.
missing image

 

↓ The Other Bush is tapped with an M3x0.5 thread and then parted off.
missing image

 

↓ The M3 grub screw will secure the Other Bush to the Axle.
missing image

 


↓ Here are the parts so far.
The parts are rough as I was in a rush. I used a CCMT 060204 carbide tool tip on this job (I had run out of the sharper CCGT tool tips). Because I did not take a deep enough depth of cut, the surface finish is very poor.
missing image
↓ Test fitting the Axle and Other Bush, without the Roller.
The final size of the Roller can now be measured.
The Axle Bush on the left protrudes more than the Other Bush on the right. I rushed the job and left this.
missing image

 


↓ The Roller is turned down to size in the lathe.
missing image

 

↓ Here is the assembly with the Roller on the Axle, between the two Bushes.
The Axle is a touch too long, but it does not matter.
missing image

 


↓ Finally finished. The Staple Wizard is back up and running.
missing image

 

↓ I run the stapler off a 6 volt bench power supply, instead of using batteries.
missing image

 





Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

TOP  HOME